Dynacare is looking for a Medical Laboratory Technologist to join our Impact Genetics team in Bowmanville, Ontario. This is a 12 months contract position working Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. The position may provide support in both the Dynacare Next non-invasive prenatal testing (NIPT) and Impact Genetics Laboratories, performing the following tasks:
- Confirms the accuracy of all patient information on requisitions and specimen samples, resolves any problems or inaccuracies prior to testing and performs required data entry
- Extracts DNA from human samples (blood, buccal, tissue) using universal precautions and following established methods
- Prepares and sorts specimens for technical analysis
- Performs NIPT robotic assay tasks
- Performs molecular assays including sanger sequencing, next generation sequencing, allele-specific PCR, MLPA and methylation-specific PCR, reverse-transcriptase PCR, polymorphic marker analysis
- Compiles results and performs data analyses for various laboratory tests
- Prepares reagents and controls using defined procedures
- Monitors and maintains laboratory supplies
- Maintains stringent pre and post PCR containment procedures at all times to prevent contamination
- Identifies technical and quality problems and takes appropriate action
- Performs routine and preventive maintenance of equipment
- Participates in research and development projects
- Participates in lab cleaning and organization
- Participates in lab quality audits, annual reviews and updating of standard operating procedures
- Works safely, following lab safety SOP requirements at all times
Registered with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO) in the specialty of Molecular Genetics (new graduates with registration pending will be accepted)
Able to identify and name variants accurately, using standard nomenclature
Able to recognize unusual or abnormal results and to initiate appropriate action
Able to recognize and trouble shoot problems in molecular assays and in instrument performance
Excellent data entry skills
Experience with lab information systems
Accuracy and precision in performing laboratory procedures
Excellent documentation practices
Demonstrate attention to detail and emphasize safety/precaution in work practices
Great communication skills in written and oral English
Excellent customer service skills
Maintain strict standards of patient privacy and confidentiality
Work well independently and as a member of a team
Able to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively
Nice to have:
- Experience in clinical genetic testing
- Able to optimize and assist in development of new assays
DNA of an Ideal Dynacare Employee
I make a difference in people's lives. I am a caring, collaborative team player who is passionate about quality and continuous improvement.
Caring - I demonstrate strong empathy and genuine concern for my colleagues, patients and customers.
Collaborative Team Player - I know I play a key role in helping the Dynacare team achieve success. I am comfortable in a changing environment, and I can easily manage multiple priorities.
Passion for Quality and Continuous Improvement - I am always looking to learn and solve problems. I am detailed oriented, adaptable and find ways to make things better.
Dynacare has been a Top Employer for many years and there is a reason why. We are a great place to work.
At Dynacare, were proud to hire the best people. If you are looking for a meaningful career where you can support healthy lives with commitment and care we would like to meet you. To apply for this position, you will be asked to submit your resume and complete the application process.
If your qualifications and experience fit with this position, we will contact you to learn more. We offer competitive pay and great benefits, along with the opportunity to grow and thrive with a dynamic, successful company. We hope you will join us in our journey to become Canada's health and wellness solutions leader.
Dynacare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to the attraction, selection, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. We believe that our diversity is our strength so we employ a diverse workforce and respect the needs of all our employees.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Dynacare Accommodation Policy a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the Dynacare hiring process.